In our last article, which can be found on our website, we talked about God’s command to rule over our sin found in Genesis 4:7. We continue this month looking at verses that help us understand our part in this.
- No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, so that you will be able to endure it. – 1 Corinthians 10:13 – Your sin is not unique and enslaves you only if you indulge in it. This is how addictions are born yet God is faithful. He knows your limitations and keeps obedience within your reach. Nothing in Scripture is written in vain, but serves those who will rely on it.
- Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. – 2 Corinthians 5:17 – For the born again Christian the penalty and dominance of sin has passed away and a new life of repentance has come.
- If we say that we have fellowship with Him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth; – 1 John 1:6 - If we say we’re Christians yet do not follow the life he calls us to, we’re simply not followers of Christ. Many call themselves Christians but live no differently than unbelievers.
- Submit therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded. Be miserable and mourn and weep; let your laughter be turned into mourning and your joy to gloom. – James 4:7-10 – Leaving the door cracked for sin encourages Satan. Committed resistance defeats Satan. Take action to clean your house, shut the door on sin and flee all immorality. Sin is not to be laughed at and delighted in but mourned over. Those who find joy in sin have no real fear of God or awe of his majesty or dread of his wrath. It is a dangerous condition.
- But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not carry out the desire of the flesh. – Galatians 5:16 - Jesus’ word is spiritual. John 6:63 Following His word keeps us from sinning.
- Blessed is a man who perseveres under trial; for once he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him. – James 1:12 – God’s wonderful rewards are worth fighting for both now and for eternity!
We must depart the self-centered road the world is traveling on and follow Christ. His is the way, the truth and the life.
Colby Reeves – member
Evangel Church PCA, Alabaster Al. (evangelchurchpca.org)